This Spinach, Bacon and Egg Salad was originally inspired by one found in Lisa Leake’s 100 Days of Real Food Cookbook. You can buy her book here and get tons of inspiration and recipes from her blog 100 Days of Real Food.
What I love most about this salad is that it’s quick, easy and filling. Plus it contains healthy fats, nutrients, and protein. As a general statement, I love salads that are versatile and this one is just that. Don’t like the dressing? Use your favorite! Don’t have almonds on hand? How about pecans or cashews! Have an orange or some bell peppers you need to use up? Toss ’em in! Really though, this is a great base for so many add ins, just play around until you find what you like best!
Recipe: Spinach Protein Salad
- 4 c. raw spinach
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/4 c. toasted almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 c. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 T. sunflower seeds
- 1 fuji apple (or other sweet variety)
- 1/2 red onion
Bring a small pot of water to a boil, then add the eggs and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, then place in a bowl of ice water to cool. While the eggs are cooking, place the spinach into two bowls.
2. While the eggs continue to cook, cook the strips of bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and then crumble and add to the bowls of spinach. Sprinkle the almonds and seeds on top.
3. Dice the apple and the red onion and add to the salad.
4. Once the eggs have cooled, peel and slice them, then add to the salad. Dress the salad just before serving.